1. Press the tofu: remove the tofu from package and drain. Line a plate with a paper towel and set the tofu on top. Set a small plate on top of the tofu and weigh it down with something heavy, like a 28oz can of tomatoes. Press for 15-30 minutes.
2. Cut the tofu pieces depending on how you plan to use it.
3. Marinate the tofu (optional). Place marinade in a shallow dish and add tofu; toss. Place in the fridge for at least 30m and up to overnight.
4. Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
6. Bake the tofu: arrange the tofu on the baking sheet in a single layer. Try to avoid the pieces touching each other. Bake until the outside of the tofu is golden and the pieces look slightly puffed, 20 to 45 minutes depending on the size and shape of your tofu. Toss the tofu every 10 minutes so the pieces bake evenly. The longer you bake the tofu, the chewier it will be.
7. Cool and store: if save the tofu for later, let it cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a refrigerator container. The tofu will keep refrigerated for up to a week.
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon water
Other marinade ideas: minced ginger, minced garlic, lemon or lime juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce (thinned with water)
1 tablespoon cornstarch, optional for crispy tofu (toss tofu in starch just before baking)